24 November 2011

Giving Thanks on Thanksgiving Day

There is one day that is ours. Thanksgiving Day is the one day that is purely American.

~~ O. Henry (born William Sydney Porter), American Writer, 1862 - 1910

Thanksgiving Day is a jewel, to set in the hearts of honest men; but be careful that you do not take the day, and leave out the gratitude.

~~ E. P. Powell (born Edward Payson Powell), American Journalist and Author, 1833 - 1915

Happy Thanksgiving!

Gratitude is the sign of noble souls.

~~ Aesop, Greek Writer, 620 - 564 BC

Do I look noble?

Sometimes it is hard to put into woofs all that I am thankful and grateful for; I see it in my mind, and I feel it in my heart, but sometimes it doesn't seem to translate easily into woofs.

Thank you, Porgy! He said sometimes we don't need woofs to convey how thankful we are. He said our actions, such as tail wags and licks, can express our love and gratitude more than woofs every could.

~~ MOMENT OF BEAUTY ~~

Pieter Claesz, Still Life with Turkey Pie, circa 1627 (Rijksmuseum Amsterdam)

Adrian van Utrecht, Still Life, circa 1644 (Rijksmuseum Amsterdam)

Back to me...

Let me think...I am thankful for so much in my life, where to begin?

I know of one thing thing I am NOT thankful for -- leashes! Grrrr....

I am very thankful that there is so much in my life that I have to be thankful for!

On this Thanksgiving Day I would like to my gratitude to all my wonderful blogging friends. You are all very special to me. And, despite my often infrequent postings and long absences, you still come around to visit me and leave me the best comments any pup could ask for. I am grateful for your friendship and thankful that you are in my life.

A bone to the dog is not charity. Charity is the bone shared with the dog, when you are just as hungry as the dog.

~~ Jack London (born John Griffith Chaney), American Author, Journalist, and Social Activist, 1876 - 1916

As much as I am thankful for my human, K, sometimes her vegetarianism is annoying. She never has any bones or leftover meat to share with me. So, this Thanksgiving, I am especially thankful that there is a carnivore in the house. Leftover goose, meet my tummy! I'm just sayin'...

28 comments:

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Woo look noble

And khwite feisty

AND mischievous ;-)

We try to use those khrossed paws to feign innocence BUT

Happy Thanksgiving Fur All Those Reasons AND More!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra and Phyll

rottrover said...

You look extremely noble!! And grateful!!

Happy Thanksgiving!

-Bart and Ruby

Tweedles -- that's me said...

I am thankful for you too! And I think Porgy is very wise.
Sometimes words are not needed to express thankfullness.
We wish your family a Happy Thankfullness Day!

love
tweedles
ps my one mama is a vegy too
xoxo

Angels Amber and Max DaWeenie and Mom said...

We are very thankful to have you as our furend!

Hap-Pee Thanksgiving!

:o)

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Those crossed paws say it all, Suka.

We don't like leashes either, but they are here to stay.

Wishes to you for a great day of thanks and good family time. Happy Thanksgiving from all of us.

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, Lightning, and Mom

Jon Terry said...

Suka,

How wise of Porgy to give you such words of assurance :) Yes, we should be thankful even with the little that we have cause thankfulness will always keep us in check so that we would not be swayed into an endless pursuit for more without purpose and neglect the very simple things, people and furry ones around us that's always there with us through good and bad times.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and K!

Love ya,
Jon Terry

WFT Nobby said...

What a lovely Thanksgiving post. We wish we had Thanksgiving here in Scotland. It's just an ordinary dull dark November day here but, in the spirit of my American friends and I going to give thanks anyway for my comfy home and highly carnivorous family, the fact that I have so far not had many visits to the vet and that I'm taken on lots of adventures (often off leash).

Oh and Suka, you most extremely noble looking.

Toodle pip!
Bertie.

Teddy Bear said...

Suka, you look super noble and handsome and we are so thankful for your friendship. We are so glad there was leftover goose. Yummy to your tummy. Happy Thanksgiving, dear Friend.:)

Love,
Teddy Bear & Sierra

Golden Woofs! SUGAR said...

Woof! Woof! YES you sure look noble ... LOVE your cross paw pose. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Lots to be grateful for. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

Duendes said...

Hello my friend,
Gratitude is a wonderful gift!!!
I'm glad you ate WHAT both dreamed...
We are also very grateful to have your friendship in our lives...
big hugs and blessings

D.K. Wall said...

Hope you had a terrific Thanksgiving. Those crossed paws are perfect for maintaining cuteness.

Bailey Be Good! said...

I hope you had a most wonderful Thanksgiving!! I spy a birdie!!

Big woofs & hugs, <3

~Bailey (Yep, I'm a girl!)

Joan Princing Art said...

Oh my gosh, no doubt about it...you are for sure the mostest noble-est in the land!

Right back at cha! We are very grateful for you, too. Can't tell ya how much we sincerely enjoy reading your posts and seeing your handsome face! You're the kinda pal that makes us wanna stop over there and give you a big hug!

We aren't 100% vegetarians; but we are very proud to say we eat extremely healthy....organic this...organic that! Haven't had red meat in years, and don't miss it, either!

Never had goose! I bet it was yummy. Our yummy-est food was the pumpkin pies and the mashed potatoes! Now that's what we're talkin' about.

Have a wonderful week.

Sending lots of xoxoxoxoxo,
Joan & little Janie Poo

Scrappy Angel said...

You and Porgy are cuties. I love your paws crossed pose. Maybe you are prayin'

Nice to meet you. I was in Minnesota for awhile and my human mom grew up there.

now we live in beautiful Montana!

White Dog Blog said...

Porgy is so wise. Sometimes nothing more is needed than to close your eyes and send warm thoughts of gratitude and care to those who will instantly feel you plucking at the ties that connect you. Can you feel our energy?

Stacey said...

hope you had a great thanksgiving.

Love the pictures of the paws crossed!

bichonpawz said...

Love those crossed paws!!
Xoxo Chloe and LadyBug

Alfie said...

ooh crossed legs symbolize hard thinking! I should try it sometime...

but thank YOU, Suka, for being a wonderful paw pal in the blogosphere!

i agree with you on not being grateful for leashes! how would humans feel if we took their cell phones away? or their candy?

thank you for being a wonderful friend and i hope your thanksgiving was pawsome! and if you went to a BF sale, i hope you came back in one piece ;)

Ms. ~K said...

Hope your Turkey Day was awesome! :)

Kirsten (peacefuldog) said...

We are very thankful to you and all our blogging friends too!

And give the Tofurkey a try--you may just love it!

Peggy Frezon said...

I am thankful for you and your blog. And your moments of beauty!

Tanner and Beth said...

You look so very noble. I am so glad that you have so very much to be thankful for. I have to say, I like my leash. It lets me go places with Mommy and Play in the back yard. Leashes aren't so bad when the people use them right.

Doggy Kisses,
Tanner

Jack & Moo said...

What a great post! We're thankful we know woo! mom says - "wonderful art!" (she's a big fan of beautifully painted foodstuffs )
I think Jack would get along fine with K, he LOVES veggies! Honestly, he's just as happy with a carrot as a bone!

Miss Moo & Jack a-roo too

Remington said...

Hope your Thanksgiving was the BEST!

Anonymous said...

I luv the photos of you with your legs crossed in a most mannerful way :) Hope your Thanksgiving was fantastic! :D

Waggin at ya,
Roo

Brandon - The dog with a blog said...

We are thankful to have furry awesome blogger friends!

The Daily Pip said...

Hey Suka, Just stopping by to say Happy Wednesday.

Love your crossed paws. We all have so much to be thankful for!

Your pal, Pip

FiveSibesMom said...

We hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I love your crossed paws! Beautiful pics!